The song you choose for your first dance as a married couple has the potential to be part of your life forever. First dance wedding songs can become part of the family legend – you might play it on anniversaries to help recapture the old magic or put it on when you’re telling your love story to your kids and grandkids. Ideally, you want it to be something you’re going to enjoy 30 years on. No pressure, right?
The good news is that there are so many incredible first dance wedding songs in the world, so I’ve put together 60 of the top first dance wedding songs for you to take a look at. This list should have something for everyone!
Things to Keep in Mind When You’re Choosing First Dance Wedding Songs
There’s a lot of range in first dance wedding songs because every couple is going to want something different for their first dance moment. What are you picturing? Something romantic and tender? Fun and informal? Is it a bop to get people out on the dancefloor or a moving ballad that will bring a tear to their eye?
If you are planning a choreographed dance, tempo and timing are going to play a part in your song choice. Make sure you run it by your instructor to make sure it’s going to work for the vision you have in mind. And, unless you have plenty of tricks up your sleeve when it comes to dance moves, you might find it difficult to keep 4 long minutes in the spotlight interesting. Don’t let the moment lose its power – you can cut out choruses or end songs early to get around 2.5-3 minutes for your first dance.
Top 60 First Dance Wedding Songs
1. Dance Me to the End of Love
There are a few amazing versions of this song that would be amazing first dance wedding songs: by original writer Leonard Cohen and a haunting version from The Civil Wars.
2. Ain’t No Mountain High Enough by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
3. Beyond by Leon Bridges
4. Let’s Stay Together by Al Green
5. Simply the Best by Tina Turner
6. There Will Be Time by Mumford & Sons and Baba Maal
7. Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles
8. Unchained Melody by The Righteous Brothers
9. Speechless by Dan + Shay
10. Conversations in the Dark by John Legend
11. Ho Hey by The Lumineers
12. Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran
13. Perfect by Ed Sheeran
Ed Sheeran is a master of first dance wedding songs, am I right? Turn the romance up and go for the duet version of this song with Beyonce!
14. A Thousand Years by Christina Perri
15. Sweetest Thing by Allman Brown
16. Grow Old With Me by Tom Odell
17. Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars
18. First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes
19. At Last by Etta James
20. You Are the Reason by Calum Scott
It’s easy to see why so many people choose duets as first dance wedding songs – done right, they are joyful and romantic like nothing else. Leona Lewis elevates this song to another level in the duet version – check it out.
21. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I‘m Yours) by Stevie Wonder
22. Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You by Lauryn Hill
23. Crash Into Me by Dave Matthews Band
24. Can You Feel the Love Tonight by Elton John
25. Heaven’s Knife by Josh Garrels
26. Halo by Beyonce
27. They Can’t Take That Away from Me by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong
28. Come and Get Your Love by Redbone
29. Make You Feel My Love by Bob Dylan or Adele
30. Yours by Russell Dickerson
31. This Will Be (An Everlasting Love) by Natalie Cole
32. Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston
33. Kiss from a Rose by Seal
34. Die a Happy Man by Thomas Rhett
35. Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion
36. Crazy in Love by Beyonce and Jay-Z
37. Say You Won’t Let Go by James Arthur
38. Can’t Help Falling in Love
This song is incredible in its original version by Elvis Presley, but Haley Reinhart’s cover version gave it a stratospheric comeback a few years ago. Both versions are top first dance wedding songs.
39. 10,000 Hours by Dan + Shay and Justin Bieber
40. Sons and Daughters by Allman Brown
41. Escapade by Janet Jackson
42. I Won’t Give Up by Jason Mraz
43. Never Let Me Go by Florence + The Machine
44. The Luckiest by Ben Folds
45. How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
For laid-back country vibes, opt for the original James Taylor version, but the Marvin Gaye cover is joyful and full of soul – both of them are bold and romantic first dance wedding songs.
46. I Want to Know What Love Is by Foreigner
47. Have I Told You Lately by Van Morrison
48. Loving You by Seafret
49. How Long Will I Love You by Ellie Goulding
51. You’re Still the One by Shania Twain
52. Moon River by Frank Sinatra
53. Lover by Taylor Swift
54. A Sky Full of Stars by Coldplay
55. You’re All I Need To Get By by Aretha Franklin
56. Best Part by Daniel Caesar feat. H.E.R
57. Finally // beautiful stranger by Halsey
58. Mine Would Be You by Blake Shelton
59. Case of You by Joni Mitchell
60. You Are My Sunshine by Jasmine Thompson
Choosing First Dance Wedding Songs
There you go! These are the first dance wedding songs that have captured hearts for years, plus some of the latest new releases. We’ve got pop, folk, country, RnB, and soul.
If you’re assembling your wedding playlist and looking for more inspiration, check out the Top 100 Bouquet Toss Songs for some ideas. Of course, if you’re looking for a photographer to capture every amazing moment out on that dance floor – get in touch. Let’s talk!
DID YOU ENJOY THIS BLOG POST? PIN IT FOR LATER…